cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ken Yagen <...@yagen.com>
Subject Re: "Publishing Engine could not be initialized."
Date Mon, 15 May 2000 15:10:16 GMT
I'm having this same problem and am just not getting it. I read through the
archives and understand the path need to be relative.

In D:/xml/mywebapp/WEB-INF directory I have:
web.xml
cocoon.properties

In my web.xml, I pasted the cocoon <servlet> and <servlet-mapping> pieces
and experimented with all of the following paths:
cocoon.properties
./cocoon.properties
/cocoon.properties
D:/xml/mywebapp/WEB-INF/cocoon.properties

I also tried this with the web.xml file in the tomcat/conf directory.
Neither worked, I still get:

Publishing Engine could not be initialized.
java.lang.NullPointerException:
 at org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.init(Cocoon.java:135)

I did noticed I've received two different versions of this message - both
with the same information but slightly different formatting (colon missing
after exception, etc).

Any other suggestions I can try? I'm using tomcat 3.1 and cocoon 1.7.3 and
have tried both JDK 1.2.2_05 and 1.3. I've actually tried this under Win 98
and NT4 (SP5)

I really want to get Cocoon working so I can use it for a demo I'm putting
together for JavaOne next month.

Ken