cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: XSL Output
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2000 15:47:54 GMT
On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, Darren Scott wrote:

> Donald Ball wrote:
> > > Can I write a formatting class that will solve the problem? If so, I
> > > would gladly do that and contribute it to the collective... It'd be nice
> > > if you could specify an XSLT output method of '(X)HTML' or something
> > > like that(?)
> >
> > What's the matter with just using the XML formatter? The fact that you
> > want <br /> instead of <br/>? I reckon you could patch the Xerces XML
> > formatter to do that instead.
>
> Correctomundo - the fact that I don't want the majority existing
> browsers to break when I try to feed XML to them!

So use the HTML Formatter. I still fail to see why you wouldn't want to do
that. Am I missing something? Simply spitting out XHTML with spaces before
the trailing slash isn't enough to ensure older browsers will work
properly. One of the 3.x browsers ignores <br />, if I recall aright, and
I'm also pretty sure that simulating non-valued attributes with constructs
like <select multiple=""> doesn't work as expected on one of the 3.x
browsers.

- donald