cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Steven Maring <Steven.Mar...@trcinc.com>
Subject RE: Enhydra vs Cocoon - with new Cocoon idea
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2000 11:24:23 GMT
I'm testimate to that brother.  I looked into Enhydra a while back and saw a
crapload (purely scientific term) of promises of having it become the
ultimate application server of web technology.  But I became the typical
dear caught in the headlights of a strong marketing department.  Despite the
OpenSource approach, it smelled oddly commercial.  I got scared and ran.  I
really don't know where they stand now, so I'm certianly not an expert.  I
opted for a sense of prurity, so I use Jonas by itself as an EJB application
server, and Jonathan by itself as an ORB (ocassionaly VisiBroker for
customer demands).  For a complete distributed web application solution, I
find that Cocoon, Tomcat, Jonas, and Jonathan all work rather nicely as they
are.  Not that there is not room for improvement. :-)

I'm not sure if it would be wise for Cocoon to try to become an EJB
container as well though.

Here's an idea for Cocoon though.  How about a way to stick a document
manager at the front of the process that can check the state of change on
original data, and point a reference to a pre-Cocooned xhtml page if no
state has changed.  I'm just thinking of ways to limit the requirement for
processing, if even just formatting, on every request.  i.e. Have a sort of
automated change management procedure that can automatically start the
generation of new *.html files from various events.  Those events could
either be timed, or based on file changes, like Suzie from PR just changed
an aricle in the XML.

The thought is that for some pages, they may only change once in a hundred
requests, and it seems silly to process every request in a servlet container
if the page never changed.

--Steve Maring