cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AW: SVG Update
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2000 20:50:17 GMT
Jeremy Quinn wrote:

> On 18/4/00 at 7:13 am, joshmccormack@yahoo.com (Yahoo) wrote:
>
> >Doesn't this require a special viewer? Is there any chance of
> >this having wide deployment?
>
> This is what Adobe are releasing, a browser plugin plus an export plugin for Illustrator,
for making static SVG.

> Technologies like ShockWave, Flash, QuickTime have all become popular, even though they
require plugins, I really hope this happens to SVG.

SVG will be included in Mozilla-whatever and I'm sure IE will follow
since it's too cool and standard to be ignored. No, no plugins will be
required, I'm pretty sure about that.

The best part would be to convince Adobe to open source their plugin for
the Mozilla project. Anyone from Adobe around here? :-)

> What with Adobe working on SVG and Apple working on SMIL (as part of QuickTime), and
mention in the documentation of there being a desire to keep the two compatible, which I hope
means, nesting namespaces, like QuickTime and Flash can contain each other, I think there
could be an interesting future for this stuff.

> In the meantime, I think you can format SVG to JPEG via FOP in Cocoon.

Not yet. You can do "very easy SVG" to PDF... but that's the final plan,
yes.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.