cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Enhydra vs Cocoon - with new Cocoon idea
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2000 14:14:40 GMT
Paul Russell wrote:

> Steve wrote:
> > I'm not sure if it would be wise for Cocoon to try to become an EJB
> > container as well though.
>
> Totally agree. Cocoon is a very very good front end processing package,
> JonAS is a pretty good EJB container, there is nothing to stop people
> tying the two together. I think the key to making this work is to keep
> everything as abstract as possible, and from what I've seen, both Pier
> and Stefano are *very* good at this already. I'd *hate* to see cocoon
> turn into something it isn't.

Indeed, dude!

XSP already give you the ability to match EJB capabilities by placing
custom java code that does that, but in the future we might provide EJB
taglibs that do that for you with a bunch of easily usable tags instead.

Anyway, the architecture is already flexible enough to stand anything
you really want to do... without placing everything into the Cocoon
project.

In fact, smaller decoupled projects mean faster release cycles, better
stability and better usability.

True, installation is sometimes penalized by this, but we proposed the
Avalon framework to fix exactly that (see java.apache.org/framework/).

Hey, there is _so_ much work yet to do... but all the Apache projects
are "slowly" converging together to a unified server architecture that
would be useful for both users and developers.

And I never said that cocoon was finished or perfect.

Wheneven I say that, please, kick me in the ass big time! :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.