cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@infoplanning.com>
Subject Re: cocoon performance
Date Thu, 06 Apr 2000 15:00:43 GMT
Just an asside, I have found that between Cocoon and Allaire Cold Fusion, on
similar hardware, the performance difference is negligable (the difference in
time varies on the server load--sometimes Cocoon is faster, sometimes Cold
Fusion).  When you add in the fact that the transforms that Cocoon does are
more
complex--and the formatting more flexible, Cocoon is the hands down winner.

In the interest of fairness:
The templates that we must work with are very complex in Cold Fusion, but
relatively simple for Cocoon.  I believe that the big difference between the
two
is that the JVM interpretation (or JITC) is much quicker than Cold Fusion
script.
The parts of the site that take the longest are the database access times.  I
have
found that sometimes a carefully crafted SQL statement can take much longer
than several smaller SQL statements.

The major problem with SQL in general, is that it is the limiting factor for
most
performance tests.