cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ian Abbott <i...@cinesite.co.uk>
Subject Re: Fixing LDAP Examples
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2000 15:22:08 GMT
Seb wrote:

> > (ii) into the java library extension area, e.g. /usr/java/lib/ext (or
> > similar). This is your best option as JNDI is an official Sun extension
> > to Java. Placing the JAR files here will allow Java to find the
> > extensions both from the webserver (you won't need to add them to
> > wrapper.classpath) and from command line *automatically*, which will
> > help if you start playing around with Cocoon CVS tarballs.
>
> This does not work for me. I did not found any library extension area
> (directory) in my /usr/lib/jdk1.2.2/ and it does not work if I put
> them into lib/ext, the JVM does not find them *automatically* :-(
> Should I unzip all jar files (Sorry for the off-topic question) ?

Hmm, seems to vary in location from JDK to JDK and from platform to
platform. On the SGI IRIX distribution, it's /usr/java/lib/ext. I've
heard other people report JAVAHOME/jre/lib/ext, and so forth as well. As
for picking up automatically, I assumed this was the case for all JDKs;
the SGI JVM picks everything in ext/ up without having to be referenced
in the classpath, and I'm sure other people such as Pier have mentioned
the extensions folder being used 'automatically'.

However, keeping the JARs in a separate area which is controllable works
just as well. Whether that's somewhere within the servlet engine library
area or elsewhere, as long as you can reference the JAR files within the
servlet engine classpath things should work OK.

If command-line use is required, you can also pass the -extdirs flag to
javac to set the location of Java extensions; for example, javac in SGI
JDK 1.2.1 reports:-

Usage: javac <options> <source files>

where <options> includes:
  -g                     Generate all debugging info
  -g:none                Generate no debugging info
  -g:{lines,vars,source} Generate only some debugging info
  -O                     Optimize; may hinder debugging or enlarge class
files
  -nowarn                Generate no warnings
  -verbose               Output messages about what the compiler is
doing
  -deprecation           Output source locations where deprecated APIs
are used
  -classpath <path>      Specify where to find user class files
  -sourcepath <path>     Specify where to find input source files
  -bootclasspath <path>  Override location of bootstrap class files
  -extdirs <dirs>        Override location of installed extensions
  -d <directory>         Specify where to place generated class files
  -encoding <encoding>   Specify character encoding used by source files
  -target <release>      Generate class files for specific VM version

As for unzipping the JAR files, I've thought it best to leave them
alone...

Ian