cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Robin Green" <gree...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: XSP: Illegal Use Of Nonvirtual Function Call
Date Tue, 11 Apr 2000 18:12:10 GMT
"Bri Carey" <careyb@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hello.  New to Cocoon.
>
>Rundown:
>SunOS
>Apache JServ
>Cocoon 1.7.2
>
>I am trying to use the sample xsp files that came with Cocoon.  I moved
>them
>to our test directory, and pointed to page.xml in my browser.  I received
>the following error.
>
>In fact, I copied one of the samples from the Cocoon web site over to the
>directory and tried the same thing.  I copied the stylesheet as well.  I
>got
>the exact same error.
>
>java.lang.VerifyError: (class:
>org/apache/cocoon/processor/xsp/XSPProcessor$PageEntry, method: hasChanged
>signature: ()Z) Illegal use of nonvirtual function call
>              at
>org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPProcessor.process(Compiled Code)
>              at org.apache.cocoon.Engine.handle(Compiled Code)
>              at org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.service(Compiled Code)
>              at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(Compiled Code)
>              at org.apache.jserv.JServConnection.processRequest(Compiled
>Code)
>              at org.apache.jserv.JServConnection.run(Compiled Code)
>              at java.lang.Thread.run(Compiled Code)
>
>Has anyone seen this before?

That's bizarre. My thoughts: Either:

a) your Cocoon download is corrupt (try downloading it again), or
b) you are using a buggy Java Runtime Environment, or
c) your version was compiled using a buggy compiler, or
d) you have been editing the Cocoon code and have made an incompatible
change (in which case, do a build clean and then a build). Incompatible
changes are usually, but not always, bugs (but that's a technical Java issue
which we needn't go into here).

No-one else has reported this problem - which is a bytecode verification
problem - so I can't see how it could be anything else.