cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Williams, Murray Todd" <murray_willi...@merck.com>
Subject Storing XML in databases w/o lots of string parsing....
Date Fri, 21 Apr 2000 15:09:11 GMT
I've presently got a small web application that stores XML content
(personnel/project progress logs) in a database (MySQL) and allows a viewer
to selectively view these logs through a web form in Cocoon.

In order to insert the XML content into the rest of the page, I pull the
standard trick of creating a SAX Parser, having the parser read the stored
(ASCII-text) XML content, and connecting the parsers events to the XSP
page's default event handlers.

This works, but I can't help feeling a little bothered by the fact that I
have to store the XML content in ASCII and run lots and lots of parsers on
it.  What I'm wondering is if there is a better way to create some sort of
binary serialization of the XML snippets so I can store them in more
quickly-accessible form in some sort of SQL binary BLOB object.  I image
this is akin to how the Cocoon cache system works, and I tried going through
the source code, but I couldn't quite understand what was going on.

Can anyone enlighten me as to whether there's a better way to store XML
content in a database?

Thanks!

Murray Todd Williams
Merck & Co., Inc.