cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ulrich Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Re: Announce: XML::EP
Date Mon, 27 Mar 2000 08:55:43 GMT
"Wiedmann, Jochen" wrote:

> Cocoon is (IMO) a framework for integrating all kinds of XML software
> into a webapplication. Sorry, but I really cannot read from your
> quote above where you see the connection between EntireX and Cocoon?

Well, it depends on your point of view. You could say there is no
connection between vi, MS-Word and TeX, but if you're looking at it from
a customer's point of view, then there is. Every company should strive
to have a standard way to edit and publish text and all three tools can
do this, but in very different ways.

Just so with EntireX and cocoon. Both allow me to publish XML documents
and use XSLT and other related functionality. EntireX is a
business-process level framework, whereas cocoon says nothing about
business processes, but allows/requires me to plug in my own business
objects as producers/processors or in XSP pages. I suspect there is a
way to do this in EntireX as well, perhaps as Enterprise Java Beans or
such. But the big decision for a customer remains: should I use a
pre-made middleware framework or should I go OpenSource and develop my
own stuff? Or should I use both?

And that is what my question aimed for: which scenario could be thought
of, where it would make sense to use a pre-made middleware framework
(not just EntireX, there are other products as well) and cocoon at the
same time? What would the architecture of such a system look like? Would
cocoon handle the "low level" grunt work in parsing XML, applying XSLT
transforms etc. and the middleware sits on top of it and models business
processes? Or do I model processes with cocoon (e.g. using the Sitemap)
and use the middleware framework in, say, XSP pages?

Both strategies are probably implementable and perhaps they are even one
and the same strategy with minor differences in technical implementation
only. I was hoping someone could make me see the light here :)  Perhaps
we should wait until the Americans are up and see what they think.

> P.S: And sorry for dropping so much SAG product names on this list.
> This wasn't my intention.

You are absolved, it was my idea, and so I hope it is ok, because I am
not connected to SAG in any way :)

At least for me it is important to keep an open mind and see what others
are doing. But, as you can see, my question applies to any kind of XML
framework, not just EntireX.

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring