cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Announce: XML::EP
Date Thu, 23 Mar 2000 16:05:03 GMT
"Wiedmann, Jochen" wrote:

>         XML::EP - A framework for publishing XML documents
>                   in the style of Cocoon

AAAAAAhhhh, we've been cloned!!! :)

Well, it shows that some of our ideas are cool. That's good.

[skipped]

>   An important thing are processors like Cocoons XSP: They do read
>   and interpret something like
>
>         <PERL>
>           # Perl code being executed here; the result text will
>           # be embedded into the XML document as a text node,
>           # replacing the PERL element.
>         </PERL>
>
>   or, better,
>
>         <XSP:STRUCTURE>
>           # Perl code creating a DOM subtree; the DOM subtree
>           # will be embedded into the XML document; replacing
>           # the XSP:STRUCTURE element.
>         <XSP:STRUCTURE>
>
>   A special and very important processor is the Stylesheet processor.

Ok, far from entering a language-religious flamefest here, people, but I
would like to suggest you to keep the same XSP semantics as we defined
it and help us improve it in case it doesn't fit your needs.

The XSP language (eXtensible Server Pages) was created _exactly_ with
the purpose of being language abstracted. So, it is possible to apply
your PERL logic, say, to the <date/> tag instead of java logic (as we
currently do).

The best part is that we _are_ planning to add support for PERL directly
inside Cocoon, using IBM's Bean Scripting Framework. So you don't have
to clone the Cocoon architecture to obtain the same functionality.

Hey, nothing stops you to do that and, in fact, I even like the idea of
more and more people coming from different technological backgrounds to
use the technology as we intended it, but it would make sense for
everybody to cooperate, reduce friction and reduce overlapping.

> Any differences to Cocoon?
> ==========================
>
> First of all, the controller. It attempts to be something similar to
> Cocoon 2. At least it will be responsible for integrating those ideas.
> And, of course: It runs with Perl. :-)

Yes, that's the big difference. If I had to choose, I'd love to have
PERL support in Cocoon and more of you helping helping us, rather than
going to rewrite the whole thing.

Cocoon was written in Java because of the availability of great XML
tools and the strenght of servlet scalability under Apache. Also because
of performance issues (server pages can be compiled into bytecode and
hotspot JVMs can run those close to native performance).

Anyway, I'm not here to change your mind or to put your work down,
rather the opposite: I welcome a collaboration between the java and PERL
world on the server side. Usually, PERL rocks where Java sucks and
viceversa. Wouldn't it be awesome to be able to use both in the same
system?

This is what we'll do with Cocoon2 and any help in that direction is
very welcome.

And, for those of you who don't care, I apologize for the noise.

Thank you.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.