cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Yahoo" <joshmccorm...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Re: Announce: XML::EP
Date Mon, 27 Mar 2000 14:59:44 GMT

The argument for using commercial software instead of open source
is made up of a few points in my experience:

Commercial companies are perceived as having a more vested interest
in the sustained use of a product. They will upgrade, that's
how they make money. They will offer customer service and support
to keep their customers happy, thus attracting new customers.
They will offer documentation to make customer service and support
cheaper. Other vendors will make hooks into the products. And
why would someone in their right mind make software for free?
And then of course if the marketing. Have you ever seen the marketing
materials for Vignette Storyserver? If there's a problem in life
it doesn't solve I didn't see that mentioned in the literature.
Never mind the incredible price, obscurity of languages and lack
of developer resources.

Josh