cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Rick Tyler <r...@ticketweb.com>
Subject Re: how to apply xsl transforms to xsp-generated xml
Date Tue, 22 Feb 2000 20:00:26 GMT
> ><!DOCTYPE page [ <!ENTITY myxml SYSTEM "http://localhost/legacy.cgi"> ]>
> ><page>
> >&myxml
> ></page>
>
> Consider loading that XML by using XSLT's (or actually XPath's)
> document() function. Makes altogether more sense. You can start out by
> using <page><insert-cgi href="..."/> and then have a template rule for
> <insert-cgi>.

Are you making this suggestion because you think it will solve
my problem (undesired translation of < > " to &lt; &gt; and &quot
before XSLT engine receives CGI-generated XML), or are you making
the suggestion on purely aesthetic grounds?  As I stated in my
previous email, I am not actually doing it as in the example
above because I need to include arguments in the URL of the CGI
which are only known at run time.  The above syntax doesn't
allow dynamic inclusion of arguments in the URL although
it DOES NOT incur the problem of undesired special character
translation.  Do you have reason to believe that loading in
the CGI's output using the method you allude to above to will
solve my problem?  (Again, my problem is not how to load the
CGI output - I don't care how that happens - I just need to
figure out a way to do it which prevents the undesired translation
of special characters in the output stream).

I am willing to try anything to solve my problem, but I don't
have enough information to act on your suggestion even if I
thought it would solve the problem.  Specifically, what would
a "template rule" for <insert-cgi> look like?  How does the
XPath document() function help me?  Where would I find an
example of what you are suggesting?  Is it possible to
dynamically construct an arbitrary URL (including arguments
received by the .xml) using your method?  That piece (the
dynamically constructed URL) is critical for my application.

Sorry if I am belaboring the point, but no-one seems to get
my question.

- RT