cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XSP vs. DCP (very basic)
Date Sun, 13 Feb 2000 17:17:55 GMT
Ulrich Mayring wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> the subject tells you that I have not the slightest idea what I'm
> talking about :)

Not only the subject :)

> I have lots of XML files and prior to applying my stylesheet I would
> like to dynamically add some tags to the XML file, so that I can
> reference the pre-computed content from the stylesheet. Really basic
> things like:
>
> <filepath>/home/httpd/xml/myfile.xml</filepath>
> <file>myfile.xml</file>
> <filename>myfile</filename>
> <fileextension>.xml</fileextension>
>
> I saw that these things can be accomplished with XSP and also with DCP.
> So, what do I use? I hear that DCP goes away with cocoon2, but if the
> DOM also goes away, then XSP can't be the way to go, either.

Read the XSP spec again. XSP make absolutely no assumption on the
underlying XML transport, this is their unique power.

> In my mind there should be some standard "W3C-approved" way to interface
> between the realm of XML/XSL and the realm of
> {external_program_of_your_choice}.

There is. XSLT extentions and XSP will probably become the format to
programmatically specify them. NOTE: XSP might well be submitted for
review at W3C.

> After all, as much as I like cocoon,
> I don't want to "get stuck" with it, should the need arise to port my
> cocoon-driven website to another development/publishing tool.

I totally understand that. Unfortunately, this is brave new world and
bleeding edge technology is not yet standardized.

> That way I could say to my boss: "Let's use cocoon for now, we can drop
> it anytime, if it doesn't work, and switch to another environment. If
> that supports XML/XSL and {insert_interface_standard}, of course."

Cocoon will support XSLT extentions when the Apache XSLT processor will.
Not before, not after. You might want to try out Saxon and see how that
works with extentions...

> Well, maybe this standard exists (JavaBeans?) and I'm just too dumb to
> notice. Please help me become smarter :)

The only thing in the XML world that was standardized about dynamic
generation are XSLT extentions, but they are _not_ mandated by the spec
and very few XSLT processors really support them.

Anyway, it's up to you to decide what to do. We, from our part, provide
solutions that do their job the best way we can and try to follow open
standard whenever it's possible (and propose new ones if a hole is
found).

I can't tell you more than this :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.