cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Memory Leak resolved
Date Sun, 13 Feb 2000 17:10:48 GMT
Mark Washeim wrote:

> on 11/2/2000 16.37, Ulrich Mayring at ulim@denic.de wrote:
>
> > sim@sbs.bangor.ac.uk wrote:
> >>
> >> It could well be JVM/version related. I used to have memory
> >> related problems in my GSP pages with the Linux 1.1.6 port.
> >> They've gone for good since I started using the IBM 1.1.8
> >> JDK.
> >
> > I'm using the JDK1.1.8 for RedHat Linux 5.2 from Blackdown.org. Anyhow,
> > the problem seems resolved now, I got the newest developer version of
> > xalan (version 0_19_3D01) and that got rid of the memory problems. Maybe
> > they're put off into the far distant future, but for now I can use
> > cocoon :)
> >
> > Ulrich
>
> Ok, I did as Ulrich has. Also resolved the memory leak.
>
> My installation.
>
> NetBSD 1.3.x and NetBSD 1.4.1
> Apache 1.3.9 & 1.3.4
> JDK 1.1.6
> Jserv 1.1b3
> Cocoon 1.6.1
> Xalan (version 0_19_3D01
> Xerces 1.0.1
>
> Is functional. I'm doing benchmarking (I'll do it on the NetBSD 1.4.1 box
> first). I'll post my results.
>
> First: apache bench, then Jmeter results.
>
> I'll try to provide comparisons with other servlets and plain html file
> retrieval.

Ok, a little explanation here: what you guys were experiencing is _NOT_
a memory leak but a result of known behavior.

The Cocoon cache works like this:

1) stores everything in memory
2) leaves "store.memory" bytes for normal operation.

Xalan 0.19.2 is pretty memory hungry, so, in big stylesheets, you end up
needing more than 200kb, expecially when doing multiple requests. Latest
Xalan is probably more memory tuned, this is why your problems went away
(but will turn right out)

A better value should be around 2Mb, 200K is only for simple,
out-of-the-box installations.

Anyway, I'm working on a final solution for this.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.