cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Please help: Memory Leak
Date Sun, 13 Feb 2000 16:56:25 GMT
Ulrich Mayring wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> > Try increasing the memory of your JVM...
>
> I did try this, to no avail. My settings are:
>
> in jserv.properties:
>
> wrapper.bin.=/usr/local/bin/jdk118_v1/bin/java
> wrapper.bin.parameters="-ms1000000"
>
> in cocoon.properties:
>
> store.memory = 200000

Try

 store.memory = 2000000

(2 Mb, add zero at the end)

I have an idea on what might causes the trouble, but I need more tests
to find out what the right solution would be... Try playing around with
heap-size and store.memory combinations and tell us what you get.

the exception won't probably go away, but I'm interested in knowing how
many pages you were able to serve before this happens, depending on your
JVM memory + store.memory perameters.

> Are there any other places, where I can set memory requirements? Also,
> what we have here is a memory leak, so I think increasing the memory
> cannot solve the problem, only put it off. In any case, increasing the
> memory of the JVM from the above setting to, say, 5000000 doesn't change anything.

No, it's not a memory leak. (pretty hard to do a memory leak in java)

It's a design flaw in the Java API that I had to program around in a
pretty nasty way... and sometimes it fails. Take a look at the store
classes if you care to know more about it.

Anyway, more tests will probably help us find out a better solutions
because i agree: what we have today does not scale as I would like to.

NOTE: cocoon2 will do much better being SAX based, but we still need a
better memory store model.