cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XSL processing in Cocoon & IE5
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2000 15:13:16 GMT
Edward Ivanovic wrote:

> Hi all,
> I was doing some work in rendering XML to HTML using XSL in Cocoon and also
> in IE5.  I'm was having a problem where IE5 would only show a blank page
> when I used the sample XML/XSL  files that came with Cocoon, but the pages
> were rendered fine in Cocoon.  Also, I then found some other XML/XSL files
> that worked fine in IE5 client-side rendering to HTML, but Cocoon would show
> an error with them.  So after I compared the XSL files I found that I had to
> re-write the XSL in a different way depending on where the rendering was
> happening (ie. IE5 or Cocoon).  So my question is whether anyone knows why
> IE5 and Cocoon render the files diferently when both claim to support
> XML/XSL???
>
> Example files that work in IE5 but *not* in Cocoon are attached below.  Any
> help is, of course, greatly appreciated.
>
> Edward Ivanovic
>
> File: 14.XML
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="14-4.xsl"?>
> <PERIODIC_TABLE>
>
>   <ATOM PHASE="GAS">
>     <NAME>Hydrogen</NAME>
>     <SYMBOL>H</SYMBOL>
>     <ATOMIC_NUMBER>1</ATOMIC_NUMBER>
>     <ATOMIC_WEIGHT>1.00794</ATOMIC_WEIGHT>
>     <BOILING_POINT UNITS="Kelvin">20.28</BOILING_POINT>
>     <MELTING_POINT UNITS="Kelvin">13.81</MELTING_POINT>
>     <DENSITY UNITS="grams/cubic centimeter"><!-- At 300K -->
>       0.0899
>     </DENSITY>
>   </ATOM>
>
>   <ATOM PHASE="GAS">
>     <NAME>Helium</NAME>
>     <SYMBOL>He</SYMBOL>
>     <ATOMIC_NUMBER>2</ATOMIC_NUMBER>
>     <ATOMIC_WEIGHT>4.0026</ATOMIC_WEIGHT>
>     <BOILING_POINT UNITS="Kelvin">4.216</BOILING_POINT>
>     <MELTING_POINT UNITS="Kelvin">0.95</MELTING_POINT>
>     <DENSITY UNITS="grams/cubic centimeter"><!-- At 300K -->
>       0.1785
>     </DENSITY>
>   </ATOM>
>
> </PERIODIC_TABLE>
>
> File: 14-4.xsl
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl">

MS people will never get any standard right due to shitty back
compatibility issues. (read: they break it first, then they fix it, but
their stupid managers want the wrong feature still to be supported! how
stupid is that?)

The actual namespace for XSL is "http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform".

Cocoon doesn't work on this because what you are giving it it's _NOT_
XSLT but something else that is not recognized.

Namespaces are URI that _never_ changes. In fact this is why they are
having the years instead of the spec version. the old namespace should
be _never_ supported.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.