cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Groupware and xml
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2000 19:03:58 GMT
Roman Seidl wrote:

> Hello cocoon-users,
>
>   As we are developing Groupware/Unified Messaging Services and
>   Software i consider developing a XML Gateway. The WebGateway used
> at
>   the moment is rather unflexible and buggy.
>
>   The Application mainly consists of a core that manages users,
>   workspaces, messages and access rights. The gateways are
> implemented
>   as CORBA clients.

Sounds interesting. Would this be open source or commercial development?

>   Has anybody experience in building interactive web applications
> with
>   cocoon?

To be extremely honest, Cocoon started as a way to publish web content
achieving separation of contexts. Then people wanted dynamic XML
general. Now they want more flexibility and scalability. And require
better integration with enterprise technologies.

Cocoon is not (yet) a good platform for creating interactive web
applications. It was not designed to be that, it turned out it's slowly
converging toward that.

Mind you: with XSP you can create very powerful web applications, but
just like JSP are not enough for building a good web application, XSP
are not.

If you look at Turbine (see java.apache.org), they are approaching this
from a totally different point of view: while Cocoon is content driven,
Turbine is structure driven.

In the future of Cocoon lies a closer integration between content-driven
approaches and structure/event-driven frameworks.

But it's _way_ too early to tell how this will be done.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.