cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cocoon.jar?
Date Sat, 05 Feb 2000 23:44:22 GMT
Rick Tyler wrote:

> > This shouldn't be a point of confusion...
>
> I hear you, but it IS a point of confusion to anyone
> who doesn't yet know the secret handshake.  I suppose
> you might look on it as a right of passage: only the
> truly committed and immersed are entitled to experience
> the genius of Cocoon.  I would think the goal would
> be to spread the Gospel as far and wide as possible,
> which argues against unnecessary ambiguity that might
> frustrate would-be evangelists.
>
> So, I will reiterate only once my point of view that
> assigning two different sets of semantics to the .jar
> extension is a bad idea.  The .zip extension is already
> understood to mean "an archive of files which must be
> manually unpacked before use".  In my utopian world,
> the only meaning assigned to a .jar file would be:
> "a Java class archive, readable by the Java class
> loader".
>
> As it stands now, I must open the file with WinZip and
> inspect its contents (or let the class loader look for
> something inside it) before I know what it really is!
>
> That's no way to run a business.

We are here to help you and we would like to hear suggestions instead of
rants: they make our job easier and much more fun. And your comments
much more valuable from our point of you.

If you don't like something the way it is, please, say so respecting the
work others have provided you for free and with no warranty whatsoever.
If you don't want to do this, hey, your choice. But that's no way to
approach open source development.

Stefano, pretty tired of rants...