cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Dan Reese <dan.re...@allbenefits.com>
Subject RE: cocoon vs. msxml
Date Tue, 25 Jan 2000 17:43:08 GMT
To run Cocoon on IIS, you have to buy a servlet engine (are there any good
free ones that can run on a production web server? I haven't found one if
there are) so you're looking at at least $500.  The MS solution is free.
You have to depend on MS to support standards, which they haven't shown to
be real good at.

As for dynamic content generation, you can generate XML via ASP and keep
your presentation separate from data and logic.  If your development team is
already working with ASP it can be a nice stepping stone.  It's not nearly
as powerful as Java IMHO but it does do the job.  It also doesn't have
anything nearly as powerful as FOP.

I'm not a MS fan, in fact I really dislike most of their tactics and
software.  However, I am using the MSXML support from IE5 with IIS as a
stepping stone to using Cocoon in a production environment.  I am trying to
show management what can be done with XML/XSL and then getting them to bite
on a servlet engine for Cocoon.