cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Mike Engelhart <mengelh...@earthtrip.com>
Subject processor or producer?
Date Tue, 04 Jan 2000 18:00:45 GMT
I am trying to convert my JSP/Beans/Servlet web application to use Cocoon
and am a little confused as to whether I should be using Producers,
Processors or a combination of both.   Here's a simple example of what I my
application does when using JSP, etc.    (This example is a car reservation
availability system which accesses legacy car data from a third party
reservation system)

1)  A request comes into a servlet with form data that contains arrival
date, departure date, car type, and other information relate to making a car
reservation.
2) Servlet does error checking and if the data is acceptable passes data to
a bean which then accesses the reservation system and returns data which is
then parsed into meaningful information, stored in a bean as either a Map or
List and passed onto a JSP for further processing/display.  (if the form
data is incorrect it is passed to a JSP which redisplays the form showing
all the errors and leaving correct information as is).

So, I am thinking that my servlet should still process the data for validity
and then pass the request onto a producer which will create an XML document.
Am I right so far?  This then will be further transformed using Cocoon/XSL
into HTML or whatever type of document I choose.  I'm still not really sure
when you would extend  Producer over Processor though.

Thanks for any help on this.

Mike