cocoon-users mailing list archives

From john.wri...@synamic.co.uk
Subject RE: Problem with Cocoon Installation
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2000 12:41:41 GMT
Mark,

Spoke to one of our techies & his comments were...

P.S. This problem classically throws a NoClassDefException so it maybe the
problem. If that's it, then it's probably something in the classpath.

By the way there does seem to be a bug in some versions of the jdk1.2 under
windows
where it fails to read jar files. he might try renameing it to a zip file
extracting everything and then rebuilding the zip and renameing it jar and
see if that helps.

Hope this helps...

Regards,
John Wright

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark.Papiani@wdr.com [mailto:Mark.Papiani@wdr.com]
Sent: 05 January 2000 11:02
To: cocoon-users@xml.apache.org
Subject: Problem with Cocoon Installation

Hi,

I am trying to get Cocoon working with Apache 1.3.9 and JServ 1.1b3, on
NT. However, when I try to access an XML file sitting on my Web server,
the Cocoon servlet fails as it appears not to find the XSL processor
class file (see error message later). I would be very grateful for any
advice on where things are going wrong.

I am using the following version of Cocoon, since as far as I can tell
this is the latest release:

Cocoon_1.5.jar          19-Nov-1999 17:09   1.4M

One initial question I have is why doesn't this version support Xalan
and Xerces-J?

The bundled install instructions with Cocoon 1.5 state:

"These are the XML parsers currently supported:
             1.OpenXML
             2.IBM XML4J
             3.Sun ProjectX
             4.Oracle XML Parser v.2

XSL Processor with DOM support

These are the XSL processors currently supported:
             1.XSL:P Processor
             2.Lotus XSL Processor
             3.Oracle XSL Processor (comes with the Oracle XML parser
v.2)"

Since Xalan and Xerces are not supported, I have tried the XSLP and
Lotus XSL processor and always receive an error similar to that below:

--------------------
Publishing Engine could not be initialized.

      java.lang.RuntimeException: Error creating
org.apache.cocoon.processor.xslt.LotusXSLProcessor: make sure the
needed classes can be found in the classpath
              at
org.apache.cocoon.framework.Manager.create(Manager.java:103)
              at org.apache.cocoon.framework.Router.init(Router.java,
Compiled Code)
              at
org.apache.cocoon.framework.Manager.create(Manager.java:90)
              at org.apache.cocoon.Engine.(Engine.java:130)
              at org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.init(Cocoon.java:118)
              at
org.apache.jserv.JServServletManager.load_init(JServServletManager.java:
569)
              at
org.apache.jserv.JServServletManager.loadServlet(JServServletManager.jav
a:488)
              at
org.apache.jserv.JServConnection.processRequest(JServConnection.java:266
)
              at
org.apache.jserv.JServConnection.run(JServConnection.java:188)
              at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:479)

This corresponds to the following code

Manager.java:103 -

   Object object = Class.forName(name).newInstance();

} catch (java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError e) {
            throw new RuntimeException("Error creating " + name + ":
make sure the needed classes can be found in the classpath");

However, I am sure that the XSL processors are in the jserv classpath -
see extracts from my config files below:

-----------------------
zone.properties -

repositories=C:\Program Files\Apache JServ
1.1b3\servlets,P:\papiani\XML_Tools\cocoon\bin\Cocoon.jar

jserv.properties -

wrapper.classpath=P:\papiani\XML_parser_evaluation\IBM_parser\xml4j_2_0_
15\xml4j.jar
wrapper.classpath=P:\papiani\XML_Tools\lotusxsl_0_19_1\lotusxsl.jar
wrapper.classpath=P:\papiani\XML_Tools\cocoon\bin\fop.0110.jar

#previous efforts:-

#wrapper.classpath=P:\papiani\XML_Tools\cocoon\bin\openxml.106-fix.jar
#wrapper.classpath=P:\papiani\XML_Tools\cocoon\bin\xslp.19991017-fix.jar

cocoon.properties -

#processor.type.xslt = org.apache.cocoon.processor.xslt.XSLPProcessor
# Lotus XSL processor (http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/)
processor.type.xslt = org.apache.cocoon.processor.xslt.LotusXSLProcessor

##parser = org.apache.cocoon.parser.OpenXMLParser

# IBM XML4J Parser (http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/)
parser = org.apache.cocoon.parser.IBMXMLParser

Any suggestions, would be gratefully received.

Mark Papiani
Email: mark.papiani@wdr.com

related financial instruments.