cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Muly Oved" <mulyo...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Component approach to web development using Cocoon
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2000 11:30:23 GMT
>I'm still not sure I follow this.  It sounds like you are saying that you
>want to take a static XML and overide specific nodes with a more dynamic
XML
>node.  If that is true, can you come up with a better example.  I don't yet
>see the need.
Override specific nodes, Yes this is the idea.
The motivation for this is to enable parallel development of the document
while develop in a more traditional approach then XML+XSLT.

The web designer will be able to work and maintain a fully static html
version of the site. The data on this site will be faked sample data. To do
this he can use any HTML editor and that will really keep him productive and
happy, (XSLT maybe just to complicate for those types of workers, yet).

The programmer is working on the dynamic parts of the document on a
different set of html and does not need to be concerned about every change
in the images, colors, style or static text.

All the web designer and the programmer need to coordinate between them is
the ID of the sections. Not that this is trivial, but comparing to other web
technologies can be done :).

This is just an example it does not have to be split between static and
dynamic, it can be split between different types of dynamic or different
type of static. It just a way to split the work, nothing more complicate
then that.

>I also disagree with:
>>3) XSL can't control more then 1 document at a time. So XSL is not the
>>proper tool to do the merge of the documents.

>XSL can load additional XML documents using the document() function.  And
>XML can load additional nodes from an external entity into the root node.
I will check this, thanks.

Muly.