cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Toby Ferguson" <toby.fergu...@eloan.com>
Subject Running Xalan & Cocoon under JDK 1.2.3 on a Sun
Date Wed, 12 Jan 2000 23:03:35 GMT
Guys,

(If this isn't the right place to send this I apologise - could you please
tell me where the appropriate place is for such a message.)

I can't get Xalan to run under anything but JRE 1.1 on my sun machine. I
want to run under JDK 1.2. Can you help me? I've tried the Xalan developers
group but have got not response, and I'm beginning to get a little desperate
{:/

I've tried 2 variables (giving 4 configurations). The 2 variables are:
the version of java, and the version of xerces.

Only one configuration works and (suprise, surprise) its the one I can't
live with!

I've 2 versions of java: jre 1.1, and java 1.2
I've 2 versions of Xerces - 1_0_0, and the one that came with Xalan
(hereafter referred to as Xerces_x

My java 1.2 details:

$java -version
java version "1.2.1"
Solaris VM (build Solaris_JDK_1.2.1_03, native threads, sunwjit)

My machine details:

$ uname -a
SunOS dev 5.6 Generic_105181-17 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-2

What works: jre 1.1, and Xerces_x

What doesn't work:

********* java 1.2 and Xerces 1_0_0: (i.e. the VERY thing that the
installation instructions reference!)

I get the following error:

$ java org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process -in graph.xml -xsl graph.xsl -out
graph.html
========= Parsing file:/home/tobyf/XML/XSL/graph.xsl ==========
XSL Warning: Old XSLT Namespace: http://www.w3.org/XSL/Transform/1.0,
Location file:/home/tobyf/XML/XSL/graph.xsl, line 2, offset 65
Parse of file:/home/tobyf/XML/XSL/graph.xsl took 803 milliseconds
========= Parsing graph.xml ==========
Parse of graph.xml took 88 milliseconds
Error! org/apache/xml/serialize/OutputFormat
XSL Process was not successful.
XSLProcessor: done

********* java 1.2 and Xerces_x

$ java org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process -in graph.xml -xsl graph.xsl -out
graph.html
========= Parsing file:/home/tobyf/XML/XSL/graph.xsl ==========
XSL Warning: Old XSLT Namespace: http://www.w3.org/XSL/Transform/1.0,
Location file:/home/tobyf/XML/XSL/graph.xsl, line 2, offset 65
Parse of file:/home/tobyf/XML/XSL/graph.xsl took 804 milliseconds
========= Parsing graph.xml ==========
Parse of graph.xml took 87 milliseconds
	at org.apache.xalan.xpath.xml.FormatterToXML.init(FormatterToXML.java:430)
	at
org.apache.xalan.xslt.StylesheetRoot.makeSAXSerializer(StylesheetRoot.java:5
21)
	at org.apache.xalan.xslt.StylesheetRoot.process(Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process.main(Compiled Code)

********* Jre 1.1 and Xerces 1_0_0

$ /usr/java1.1/bin/jre -cp
/usr/eloan/java/xerces-1_0_0/xerces.jar:/usr/eloan/java/xalan_0_19_1/xalan.j
ar org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process -in graph.xml -xsl graph.xsl -out
graph.html
========= Parsing file:/home/tobyf/XML/XSL/graph.xsl ==========
XSL Warning: Old XSLT Namespace: http://www.w3.org/XSL/Transform/1.0,
Location file:/home/tobyf/XML/XSL/graph.xsl, line 2, offset 65
Parse of file:/home/tobyf/XML/XSL/graph.xsl took 745 milliseconds
========= Parsing graph.xml ==========
Parse of graph.xml took 46 milliseconds
Error! org/apache/xml/serialize/OutputFormat
XSL Process was not successful.
XSLProcessor: done

I tried recompiling, but ran into 2 errors:

1) The "makesubroutines" target was invoked when $SUBDIRS was null,
resulting in a subsequent shell expansion error;
2) I got the same errors as those shown above - i.e., depending on what was
in the classpath, I got a problem with formatting.

Thanks for any help,

Toby Ferguson