cocoon-docs mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Cocoon Wiki] Update of "Cocoon 3 Profiling" by SebastianRosensteiner
Date Tue, 23 Jun 2009 18:34:54 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by SebastianRosensteiner:
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/Cocoon_3_Profiling

  === How do I get cocoon-profiling? ===

  Currently, you have to checkout cocoon 3 and apply this patch: [[http://christophleiter.com/tmp/cocoon-profiling-1.patch]].
Then simply build cocoon (using mvn install) and add cocoon-profiling as a dependency in your
application or add cocoon-profiling-3.0.0-alpha-2-SNAPSHOT.jar to your classpath.
+
+ === How can I enable/disable cocoon-profiling on the fly? ===
+
+ Cocoon-profiling is enabled per default. If you just want to use it, you can skip this chapter.

+
+ If you want to start or stop profiling while the server is running, you can use the management
bean provided by cocoon-profiling. Cocoon-monitoring automatically exposes this MBean; just
make sure that cocoon-monitoring is in your classpath. You can then connect to the server
process using jconsole and call the "start" and "stop" method of the org.apache.cocoon.profiling
MBean.
+
+ Keep in mind that cocoon-profiling uses Spring AOP to intercept method calls, which cannot
be enabled or disabled at runtime. Therefore, a disabled cocoon-profiling still affects the
performance (at least a little bit). Only removing cocoon-profiling from the classpath and
restarting the server guarantees maximum performance.
+
+ === I need cocoon-profiling to profile my custom cocoon component, how can I do that? ===
+
+ Generally, you don't have to change anything. Cocoon-profiling uses Spring AOP to profile
all cocoon components and servlets as well as any subclass or cocoon interface implementation.
+
+ Advanced users might want to add their own Profiler class to cocoon-profiling if they have
a specific component with specific parameters or other bits of data they want cocoon-profiling
to collect.

  == Firebug ==