cocoon-docs mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Cocoon Wiki] Update of "Con" by ConalTuohy
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2005 00:48:47 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by ConalTuohy:
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/Con

- My name is mailto:conalt@paradise.net.nz. I live in Wellington, New Zealand. I've been using
Cocoon for a couple of years, and I like it a lot.
+ My name is [mailto:conalt@paradise.net.nz Conal Tuohy] I live in Wellington, New Zealand.
I've been using Cocoon for a few years, and I like it a lot.

- I work part time at the [http://www.nzetc.org/ New Zealand Electronic Text Centre] which
has a Cocoon-based website, and offers consultancy and text-processing services to local businesses,
generally using Cocoon as a platform.
+ I work at the [http://www.nzetc.org/ New Zealand Electronic Text Centre] which has a Cocoon-based
website, and also offers consultancy and text-processing services to external clients, generally
using Cocoon as a platform.
-
- I also teach web publishing at a local Polytechnic and I do some other freelance consultancy
work.

  The NZETC website uses ApacheModProxy so as to serve most of the site from static files,
and other parts dynamically from Cocoon.

@@ -16, +14 @@

  I also wrote the JarProtocolExample HOWTO which describes how to read data from inside a
JAR, ZIP or Open Office file, though personally I haven't used this at all :-)

- On my list of things to do is an application of Topic Maps in Cocoon: I'm looking at ways
to define page layouts that read various pieces of information about a topic from a Topic
Map and aggregate them into an HTML page. The idea is that a Topic Map will provide an architectural
layer to separate the raw resources from the page layout and navigation, and that this will
facilitate a better division of labour between the people who define pipelines, and people
designing the look and feel of the site.
+ The site is also based on a Topic Map. We use XSLT to harvest metadata (in XTM form) from
our source documents (TEI-encoded books, and a MADS authority file). We use TM4J to merge
the topic maps together into a mega topic map (about 180Mb of XTM). Finally we use JXTemplateGenerator
to query the map (using jx expressions based on TM4J's API) and present the semantic network
of the topic map as HTML links etc.

+ The idea is that the Topic Map provides an architectural layer to separate the raw resources
from the page layout and navigation, and that this facilitates a better division of labour
between the two distinct concerns, and also allows for a very high degree of inter-linking
between related resources on the site.