cocoon-docs mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Cocoon Wiki] Update of "Blockathon2005Report" by BertrandDelacretaz
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2005 08:43:52 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by BertrandDelacretaz:
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/Blockathon2005Report

  See also OsgiTipsAndTricks.

  = Tuesday July 18th - morning =
- Daniel is starting with a talk about component management and OSGI.
+ = Tuesday July 17th, morning =
+ Talk about blocks management led by Daniel.
+
+ == Some package names need to be changed ==
+ The OSGI mechanisms for import/export of classes are based on package names, a bundle must
export a complete package, it cannot export a single class.
+
+ This means we have a problem with our current package names, for example many blocks have
classes in o.a.c.generation or o.a.c.transformation, that need to be exported. The package
names will need to be changed, for example to o.a.c.blocks.html.HtmlTransformer.
+
+ == ECM-based blocks ==
+ Existing blocks using the ECM++ component manager internally will need to make their services
available to the OSGI framework. This can be done when the ECM component manager is being
setup, maybe by creating an ECM event listener which "relays" service availability info to
OSGI.
+
+ We might want to make only some ECM components available as OSGI services.
+
+ Scenario:
+ 1. Bundle is loaded by OSGI
+ 1. BundleActivator initializes ECM ComponentManager, uses a Listener to learn about ECM
Services being registered and registers (some of) them as OSGI services
+
+ == ECM++ bundle ==
+ As several blocks will be using ECM++ it makes sense to have an ECM++ bundle to make this
shared code available.
+
+ == Blocks using other component managers ==
+ In the same way, blocks using Spring, hivemind or whatever other component manager can make
some of their components available as OSGI services.
+
+ The same pattern (component manager initialization - service instantiation listener - OSGI
service registration) seems to be applicable in these cases.

  = Monday July 17th - evening =
  The Cocoon trunk is running under OSGI! See http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=112170290723962&w=2