cocoon-docs mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Cocoon Wiki] Update of "SylvainWallez" by SylvainWallez
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:15:33 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by SylvainWallez:
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/SylvainWallez

  Thanks for visiting my little corner of the Cocoon wiki !

- I'm Sylvain Wallez. I'm 37, and live in Toulouse, France. I'm married and have two sons
(13 and 8).
+ Want to know more about me? Visit my [http://people.apache.org/~sylvain/ Apache home page]
and my [http://www.anyware-tech.com weblog]

- I was proposed a Cocoon committer in [http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=98841094618385&w=2
April 2001] by Giacomo Pati. My biggest piece in Cocoon is the interpreted sitemap engine,
also known as "!TreeProcessor". I also hacked a lot here and there, and introduced the !WriteableSource.
It's now Excalibur's !ModifiableSource, which led me to become also a committer on [http://avalon.apache.org
Avalon]. I also did a lot of work on Woody, now known as Cocoon Forms.
+ = Cocoon wishlist =
+ Here's a dump of random ideas that pop in my head about Cocoon. Ideas come and go, and good
ones sometimes get lost before coming back later. So here they are, both as a personal reminder
and for you to pick them for discussion and/or implementation.

- I have been nominated as an Apache member in June 2003, and I'm the Cocoon PMC chair (and
hence Vice-President of the ASF) since june 2004.
+ == Cocoon Forms ==

- I'd like to have more time for Cocoon development, but my job at [http://www.anyware-tech.com
Anyware Technologies], although mostly using Cocoon, is not devoted only to opensource !
+ === Styling as attributes of <ft:widget> ===
+ Having to open a <ft:widget> and add a <fi:styling> for a simple attribute as
type="textarea" is cumbersome. In the template language implementation (both jx and transformer),
automatically create a <fi:styling> if <ft:widget> has some "foreign" attributes.
+ E.g:
+ {{{<ft:widget id="foo" type="textarea" cols="80" rows="30"/>}}}
+ Will be equivalent to:
+ {{{<ft:widget id="foo">
+   <fi:styling type="textarea" cols="80" rows="30"/>
+ </ft:widget>}}}

- You can [http://www.anyware-tech.com/blogs/sylvain read my weblog] on Cocoon, Java, open-source
and me !

+ === Automatic <ft:continuation-id> ===
+ Insertion of the continuation id as an input field can be automated if the <ft:form-template>'s
action attribute doesn't contain the continuation id.
+
+ === Easier access to resources in jar ===
+ CForms and the BrowserUpdateTransformer (which is available in the core) come with client-side
resources (js, css, gifs, etc) stored in jars. To ease access to these resources, define a
naming convention allowing a generic pipeline in the root sitemap:
+ {{{<map:match pattern="system/*/**">
+   <map:read src="resource://org/apache/cocoon/{1}/resources/{2}"/>
+ </map:match>}}}
+
+ Maybe also use the resource-exists action to allow local override in context://resources/{1}/{2}.
+
+ == Error handling ==
+
+ === Define a LocatableException ===
+ Cocoon uses a lot of exception cascading. Having a LocatableException can allow to easily
provide a "cocoon stack trace" by gathering all locations of LocatableExceptions in the exception
chain.
+
+ === Use Locator and SAXParseException ===
+ The Locator object is available everywhere in pipeline components and often tracks the location
of the generator's source file. It can therefore be used in the processing chain when an error
is found to provide the user with location information. The SAXParseException extends SAXException
with a Locator and is therefore just what we need to provide better error messages.
+