cocoon-docs mailing list archives

From stev...@outerthought.org
Subject [WIKI-UPDATE] XQueryGenerator ImmutableWidgetDefinitions Tue Apr 20 18:00:03 2004
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2004 16:00:04 GMT
Page: http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=XQueryGenerator , version: 3 on Mon Apr 20 15:14:46
2004 by NachoJimenez

+ ----
+ [An XQuery Tutorial|http://www.brics.dk/~amoeller/XML/querying/]
+

Page: http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=ImmutableWidgetDefinitions , version: 1 on Mon
Apr 20 15:59:34 2004 by TimLarson

New page created:
+ !!How can we make Cocoon Forms' widget-definitions immutable?
+
+ !The problem comes from having to build up parent-child relationships:
+
+ The parent's child-widget-definition-collection cannot be immutable because we build
+ the parent before we build the children, and then it is too late to add the children
+ to the immutable child-widget-definition-collection property of the parent.
+
+ We cannot resolve this by building the children first because then the children's
+ parent-widget-definition property cannot be immutable because by the time the parent
+ is created it is too late the set the child's immutable parent-widget-definition
+ property.
+
+ Also, with the introduction of repositories of reusable widget-definitions it is
+ possible for widget-definitions to have multiple parents.  A child-widget-definition
+ will have one parent for each place where it is (re)used, so we now need to track a
+ context-sensitive stack of ancestors rather than just storing a reference to a single
+ parent-widget-definition.
+
+ !!Solutions
+
+ !Walker solution (for multiple-parents problem):
+
+ Remove the "parent" property from the child-widget-definition, and instead use a
+ widget-definition-walker to track the stack of ancestors for the current context.
+
+ This solution will work as long as we only reference widget-definitions via navigating
+ trees of widget-definitions with widget-definition-walker objects.  If we ever needed
+ to externally store a reference directly to a widget definition, then we would have to
+ store a copy of the current context's ancestor list with it, but when would we ever do
+ this?  Note that this only concerns widget-definitions, not widget instances (which are
+ still single-parented).
+
+ !Constructor solution (for circular parent-child references problem):
+
+ Immutable member variables can be set during the execution of an object's constructor.
+ This means after the parent's constructor has done most of its setup work it can call
+ the builders for the child-widget-definitions via a widget-definition-builder-assistant,
+ and thus be able to initialize its immutable child-widget-definition-collection.  The
+ streaming nature of this build strategy is well adapted to building from SAX streams.
+
+ !Alternate depth-first solution (for circular parent-child references problem):
+
+ Use the walker solution above to break the circular reference between the parent and the
+ children widget-definitions, and then build the widget definitions depth-first, starting
+ with the deepest children and working up through the parents.  This moves the call to
+ the child-widget-definition builders out of the parent's constructors, at the expense of
+ higher memory use during widget-definition building, since we need to store the parents'
+ configuration info until we are ready to build each parent.  The overhead for this build
+ strategy is minimal *if* we already have external reasons for holding the configuration
+ in memory, such as when building from a DOM.
+