cocoon-docs mailing list archives

From stev...@outerthought.org
Subject [WIKI-UPDATE] SurvivalTips Tue Mar 23 05:00:04 2004
Date Tue, 23 Mar 2004 04:00:05 GMT
Page: http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=SurvivalTips , version: 31 on Mon Mar 23 04:07:44
2004 by DavidCrossley

- This page mostly contains tips for beginners, but see bottom of page for
+ This page mostly contains tips for beginners, but see bottom of the page for
?                                                                 ++++

- Feel free to add/modify this text -- [Hussayn|Dabbous]
- !Use released cocoon versions
?               ^

+ !Use released Cocoon versions
?               ^

- cocoon-2.0.4 seems to be quite mature now.
+ You can use un-released CVS versions, but be careful because CVS might be in the middle
of refactoring certain pieces.
- crashed cocoon under certain circumstances. This bug has been fixed with cocoon-2.0.4.
?         ^

+ crashed Cocoon under certain circumstances. This bug has been fixed with cocoon-2.0.4.
?         ^

- For XSLT changes it's usually simple to proceed in baby steps since you can usually edit
the live sheets and resubmit the page and immediately see the results. In addition you can
break your pipelines into pieces so that you can capture the output XML and feed it into something
like XML Spy or Xselerator and debug your XSLT that way.
?

 ^^^^^^^ ------     ^^^

+ For XSLT changes it's usually simple to proceed in baby steps since you can usually edit
the live sheets and resubmit the page and immediately see the results. In addition you can
break your pipelines into pieces so that you can capture the output XML and feed it into an
XML Editor or Xselerator and debug your XSLT that way.
?

 ^      ^^^^^^

- During debugging, I suggest to explicitely use {{<map:transform type="xslt" src="..."/>}}
instead of {{<map:transform type="xsltc" src="..."/>}} in your sitemap, and to avoid
using XSLTC as your default transformer ({{<map:transformers default="xslt">}} instead
of {{<map:transformers default="xsltc">}}).
?                                        -

+ During debugging, I suggest to explicitly use {{<map:transform type="xslt" src="..."/>}}
instead of {{<map:transform type="xsltc" src="..."/>}} in your sitemap, and to avoid
using XSLTC as your default transformer ({{<map:transformers default="xslt">}} instead
of {{<map:transformers default="xsltc">}}).
- !Use the cocoon-wiki.
?                     -

+ !Use the cocoon-wiki
- Especially the search function unhides interesting docs.
?                                ^^^ ^ ^

+ Especially use the "search" function to discover interesting docs.
?            ++++    +      +          ^^^^ ^^^^ ^

- I started using the ["Coocon Developer's Handbook"|http://www.sams.com/catalog/product.asp?product_id={B324E3C2-24E3-44FC-AEBA-1C653B8E28A9}]
written by Lajos Moczar and Jeremy Aston. What I like most, is the huge amount of code examples.
?                          -

+ I started using the ["Cocoon Developer's Handbook"|http://www.sams.com/catalog/product.asp?product_id={B324E3C2-24E3-44FC-AEBA-1C653B8E28A9}]
written by Lajos Moczar and Jeremy Aston. What I like most, is the huge amount of code examples.
?                         +

- There is also ["Cocoon: Building XML Applications"|http://www.newriders.com/books/product.asp?product_id={C3C05052-BE3B-4E06-A60A-13FB40AF58F6}]
written by Matthem Langham and Carsten Ziegeler (New Riders publishers), which I found very
valuable and easy to read. Two samples chapters may be found online at New Riders site: [Chapter
6 "A User's Look at the Cocoon Architecture"|http://www.newriders.com/isapi/product_id~{9AC16227-6CE0-4843-9CDD-7A15AAB66A89}/articles/article.asp]
and [Chapter 11 "Designing Cocoon Applications"|http://www.newriders.com/isapi/product_id~{F923B1C7-09BA-4CC2-A0F1-DB71C1510CAA}/articles/article.asp].
Chapter 6 provides a good introduction and overview of Cocoon's 2.0 architecture.
?

      -

+ There is also ["Cocoon: Building XML Applications"|http://www.newriders.com/books/product.asp?product_id={C3C05052-BE3B-4E06-A60A-13FB40AF58F6}]
written by Matthem Langham and Carsten Ziegeler (New Riders publishers), which I found very
valuable and easy to read. Two sample chapters may be found online at New Riders site: [Chapter
6 "A User's Look at the Cocoon Architecture"|http://www.newriders.com/isapi/product_id~{9AC16227-6CE0-4843-9CDD-7A15AAB66A89}/articles/article.asp]
and [Chapter 11 "Designing Cocoon Applications"|http://www.newriders.com/isapi/product_id~{F923B1C7-09BA-4CC2-A0F1-DB71C1510CAA}/articles/article.asp].
Chapter 6 provides a good introduction and overview of Cocoon's 2.0 architecture.
- !Enable multiple xslt processors

+ !Enable other xslt processors

- Look at the Cocoon docs for the basics or at [http://www.saxess.com/JSPWiki/Wiki.jsp?page=EntityResolver]
for a quickinstall description.