cocoon-docs mailing list archives

From stev...@outerthought.org
Subject [WIKI-UPDATE] AddingCocoonBlocksToForrest Tue Dec 30 10:00:04 2003
Date Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:00:04 GMT
Page: http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=AddingCocoonBlocksToForrest , version: 2 on Tue
Dec 30 08:25:14 2003 by DavidCrossley

- This how-to is useful for all those that wish to build Forrest version 0.5+ with blocks
that are not part of the default Forrest build. For example XSP, XMLDB or XMLForm etc... In
this how-to we will show how to build XSP into Forrest (NB as of 0.6-dev XSP is included with
Forrest, however, this is still a useful How-To).\\
?
                                                                          ^^^
                                                          ^^

+ This how-to is useful for all those that wish to build Forrest version 0.5+ with blocks
that are not part of the default Forrest build. For example XSP, XMLDB or CocoonForms etc...
In this how-to we will show how to build XSP into Forrest (n.b. as of 0.6-dev XSP is included
with Forrest, however, this is still a useful How-To).\\
?
                                                                          ^^^^^^    +
                                                              ^^^^

- Why do this? Well Forrest has a lot of features that are great, it's a fantastic way to
quickly create and manage a project. It would be nice though to able to extend Forrest.\\
?                                                                   ^

+ Why do this? Well Forrest has a lot of features that are great, it is a fantastic way to
quickly create and manage a project. It would be nice though to able to extend Forrest.\\
?                                                                   ^^

- Firstly make sure that you have Forrest 0.5 distribution and the CVS distribution of Cocoon-2.1,
Nekodtd and Nekopull. If you're unsure about CVS go [here | http://xml.apache.org/cvs.html]
and you can get Nekodtd and Nekopull from here:\\
+ Firstly make sure that you have at least Forrest 0.5 distribution, and the CVS distribution
of Cocoon-2.1, and Nekodtd, and Nekopull. If you're unsure about CVS go [here | http://xml.apache.org/cvs.html]
and you can get Nekodtd and Nekopull from here:\\
?                                 +++++++++                        +
                   ++++       +

- Having downloaded and extracted everything you  should now have a folder with all these
distributions in it, it is important that these live on the same level or there be more editing
to do.\\
?                                               -
                   ^ ^

+ Having downloaded and extracted everything, you should now have a folder with all these
distributions in it. It is important that these live on the same level or there be more editing
to do.\\
?                                           +
                   ^ ^

- Now we need to copy the local.blocks.properties file from Forrest to Cocoon, in terminal:\\
?                                                                            ^ ^

+ Now we need to copy the local.blocks.properties file from Forrest to Cocoon. In a terminal
window, do:\\
?                                                                            ^ ^ ++
  +++++++++++

- Next edit this file  to include all the blocks that you want to build into Forrest. This
is done by un-commenting all the required blocks.\\
?                    -

+ Next edit this file to include all the blocks that you want to build into Forrest. This
is done by un-commenting all the required blocks.\\
- Next we have to tell Forrest what kind of build we are performing.Performing a "real_with_cvs"
build copies upgraded jars to their official lib/* locations, and 'cvs
+ Next we have to tell Forrest what kind of build we are performing. Performing a "real_with_cvs"
build copies upgraded jars to their official lib/* locations, and 'cvs
?                                                                   +

- add's them, if you are not a commiter to Forrest you will not be able to CVS add them. If
you are a commiter you best be very sure that you actually want to upgrade the version of
Cocoon in Forrest's CVS. In most cases you will only want to upgrade your local copy. To do
this we want to do a "testing" or "real" build. The problem with "testing" is that the upgrade
is only done in your build directory and so each time you rebuild forrest your upgrade will
be blown away - consider copying your custom build of Cocoon somewhere safe so you can easily
copy it back into place if you rebuild Forrest. You will probably want to use "real", this
updates your local official libs so that they will not be blown away when rebuilding Forrest.
Uncomment the line you want as follows:
+ add's them, if you are not a commiter to Forrest you will not be able to CVS add them. If
you are a commiter you best be very sure that you actually want to upgrade the version of
Cocoon in Forrest's CVS. In most cases you will only want to upgrade your local copy. To do
this, we want to do a "testing" or "real" build. The problem with "testing" is that the upgrade
is only done in your build directory and so each time you rebuild forrest your upgrade will
be blown away - consider copying your custom build of Cocoon somewhere safe so you can easily
copy it back into place if you rebuild Forrest. You will probably want to use "real", this
updates your local official libs so that they will not be blown away when rebuilding Forrest.
Uncomment the line you want as follows:
?

        +

- Importantly for XSP to work in Forrest we must also include\\
+ Importantly, for XSP to work in Forrest we must also include\\
?            +

take a while.
?                     -                                                          ^ ^

This can take a while.
?        ++          ++++++++
^ ^

- You can now create a Forrest project and seed it and it will now have any of the blocks
that you've requested. This method should be able to build any block into Forrest, just make
sure that the block you  require does not have additional dependencies.
?                                      ^^^     ^^^                     -------
                       ^                                                         ^ ^^^^^^^^^^
                      -                                               -

+ You can now create a Forrest project with 'forrest seed' and it will now have the blocks
that you've requested. With this method you should be able to build any block into Forrest.
Ensure that the block you require does not have additional dependencies.
?                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^     ^
                        ^^^^^^          ++++
 ^ ^^

- __N.B__: Sometimes Forrest will not build because it loses the forrest.build.xml (''xml-forrest/build.dist/shbat/forrest.build.xml'')
If you already have a copy of this save it so you can use it later if needed. Also the same
seems to happen sometimes with jing-*.jar (''xml-forrest/lib/core/jing-*.jar''), if this happens
you can grab this jar from the Forrest CVS site.

+ __n.b.__ Sometimes Forrest will not build because it loses the forrest.build.xml (''xml-forrest/build.dist/shbat/forrest.build.xml'')
If you already have a copy of this save it so you can use it later if needed. Also the same
seems to happen sometimes with jing-*.jar (''xml-forrest/lib/core/jing-*.jar''), if this happens
you can grab this jar from the Forrest CVS site.
?   ^ ^^