cocoon-docs mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: maintaining consistent URLs
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2003 15:15:57 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> David Crossley a écrit :
> > ...Also, how do we propose to maintain consistent URLs
> > when the current doc reorganisation has happened, e.g.
> > userdocs/ directory is going away, so won't that break
> > all those other websites that already link to 2.1 docs.
> >
> > Wouldn't it be terrible if Cocoon becomes laughing stock
> > ... Cocoon is billed as "glue" but it does not stick.
> >

> Do you mean
> a) handling obsolete links in a way that still shows the relevant page,
> or
> b) just helping the user find the page?
>
> I think a) would be nice but a lot of work.

Yes i do mean a) sorry. I think that it is vital for Cocoon's
reputation that we maintain all links. I know that we are still
a static website and it is a management nightmare. That is why
URL-space needs careful planning.

> b) should be improved, the current error page is certainly not good
> enough.
>
> For b), the first step could be to configure a nicer error page at the
> http server level, and the next step would be to show a search page to
> help people find what they're after (but this requires a live Cocoon
> instance if we want to do our own precise search).

The live Cocoon is surely getting closer, but gee, we would have
no excuse for broken links if we were live. Our reputation would
then be seriously on show.

> If the current Google search is good enough, an easy way would be to
> configure an http error page which explains what happened and contains
> a Google search box like on other pages of the site.

That is a good suggestion for a workaround.

--David