cocoon-docs mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Back to home-grown docs? (Re: [RT] New Target: sub-sitemap)
Date Tue, 01 Jul 2003 09:16:08 GMT
On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 03:34:08PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Forrest is still just scratching the surfance of what it should do.
> It should use Lenya underneath for a real CMS. It can integrate blogging
> stuff from Linotype. It has a site updater.
> These are things that have nothing to do with core Cocoon, which the
> cocoon CVS repo and project are about.
>
> Community-wise, Forrest is a different place, and it's IMHO correct to
> keep it this way... do you imagine Forrest users and developers being
> part of the cocoon lists?
>
> If the point is about Forrest packaging, well, I understand what you
> mean, it seems strange to have to update Cocoon. But I see more Forrest
> as a pre-packaged and running Cocoon distro, in the future also with Lenya.
>
> I doubt we will get much more users in moving to cocoon CVS, remember
> the old docs system, and how much it was fixed? ;-)
> Basing Forrest development on fixed jars is not a shortcoming but a
> blessing that makes us able to not work on sand.
>
> Nope, it makes sense to remain separate as now.

Yep, fully agree with you that Cocoon and Forrest have distinct
identities and shouldn't merge any time soon.

However, most of my email wasn't about that.  I'm just suggesting copying
some Forrest files into Cocoon.  It's like a disk cache in an operating
system, where some data gets duplicated closer to where it's used, in
order to improve performance.  Every now and then, we synch the 'cache'
(Cocoon CVS) with the 'disk' (Forrest CVS).  That synch price is lower
than the cost of Cocoon developers having to constantly access the
'disk'.

--Jeff