cocoon-docs mailing list archives

From Diana Shannon <shan...@apache.org>
Subject Re: xdocs vs. wiki docs (was: ...scrap the existing docs and start over?)
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2003 11:40:11 GMT

On Friday, April 4, 2003, at 02:20  AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Although I've been and still am a strong advocate for wikis,

I appreciate that, especially now. I consider myself a convert because
of advocates like you. :-)

> I see three problems with this solution:
>
> 1) There must be a way for users to know if a given version of a wiki
> doc has been reviewed/validated by committers, and by whom, so they can
> estimate the reliability of the document.
> (I have ideas for this based on status files stored in CVS and
> dynamically read by a JSPWiki plugin from viewcvs, but let's not talk
> about tools ;-)

Ok, let's try. However, this might be hard to do consistently,
especially with docs that relate to a particular configuration. Plus,
what if a user introduces something incorrect after it's been validated?
I know they could check diffs against a validation date, but, that
starts to get complicated.

> 2) There must be a way to archive the wiki docs when a release is done
> so people using older releases can get docs that are in sync.
> (possible with a static archive of the wiki HTML pages)

Good point. I also think we need a way to generate a list of "approved"
wiki pages for such releases, for example, without sandbox pages, etc..
I was hoping this could happen with wiki -> xdocs (via Forrest) with a
linkmap that controlled which links expanded. Haven't had time to
experiment though.

> 3) Giving more importance to the wiki might put more strain on the wiki
> administrator who might have more work fighting with trolls or
> sabotage. Steven, what do you think?

Steven, I volunteer to help. As for trolls, some of this can be
discouraged with the password-protection front end. I already
volunteered to help develop that (in an email to Steven off-list) but
haven't been recruited yet. Seems to me we could have a rotating
committers/users on troll-watch duties, if these trolls don't get dealt
with informally.

Diana