cocoon-docs mailing list archives

From Andrew Savory <and...@luminas.co.uk>
Subject Re: [vote] micro-decision for docs: creation of cocoon-docs CVS module
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2003 19:29:52 GMT

Hi,

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Steven Noels wrote:

> > (where +1 for docs in src/documentation is for static docs)
>
> Could you expand on 'static' docs, please?

Yes, I mean generated - ie the HTML output of running Cocoon/Forrest
against the cocoon-docs CVS, so that anyone that's grabbed a copy of the
cocoon distribution has a pre-generated set of documentation to work from
without having to worry about getting Cocoon up and running first. This is
important (especially in light of Stefano's suggestion to drop the 'war'
distribution) because:

- offline workers don't have the luxury of accessing the Cocoon site to
get help;

- not everyone will have the skill to get Cocoon running / debugged (for
whatever reason);

- not everyone will want to have Cocoon running in order to read the docs;

- not everyone will know how to / realise how to "build docs".

These are all gut feelings, and I must admit I'm not entirely delighted at
the idea of a big bundle of static content shipping with Cocoon, but at
the same time, it seems like a trivial thing to do to make users' lives
easier.

Also, small point of order to everyone: can we keep an eye on
cross-posting between cocoon-dev and cocoon-docs, please? It defeats the
point of a separate docs list if we have to track discussions across both.
(Yes, I know this issue really affects cocoon-dev too, but a notification
there about the vote should do to attract interested parties...)

Committer vote not even finished and *already* I'm causing trouble ;-)

Andrew.