cocoon-docs mailing list archives

From Stephan Michels <step...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] Forrestizing Cocoon and more
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2003 16:18:28 GMT

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Jeff Turner wrote:

> (moved to cocoon-docs)
>
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 11:30:09AM +0100, Stephan Michels wrote:

> > > Getting the latest Chaperon updates was a major impetus for the recent
> > > Cocoon upgrade.  Wiki parsing is just waiting for a volunteer.
> >
> > ;-) First we make the transition, then I will help you on this topic.
> > deal?
>
> :) Thanks, help would be very welcome.
>
> As for Forrest transition, the easy part is done.  The site currently
> built at:
>
> http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/sites/cocoon-site/
>
> should now contain all the content of the Cocoon-built site.

Great! We can finally see the light at the end of the road ;-)

> To get the CVS version of Forrest known to work with Cocoon, run 'cvs
> update -r stable' in xml-forrest.
>
> Remaining issues:
>
>  - There are lots of untranslated @tokens@ in the xdocs.  A short-term
>    solution would be to do a filter-copy in forrest-build.xml before
>    Forrest is invoked.  Nicer long-term solution is to write a
>    FilterTransformer, using input modules much like
>    LinkRewriterTransformer does.  If there's no better ideas I'll get
>    around to this eventually.

Perhaps we do something like prepare-docs, copying(filtering) the docs
into the build dir, add some others like jars.xml, and then generate the
docs from this dir. But perhaps there is a problem with forrestbot?

>  - jars.xml isn't generated.  Could be fixed
>    with another forrest-build.xml pre-generation hack.  Perhaps in
>    Forrest we should allow hooks for calling targets in external Ant
>    scripts.
>
>  - doclist.html isn't used.  doclist.html isn't referred to anywhere, and
>    the mechanism of aggregating all book.xml's looks kinda brittle, so I
>    didn't port it to the Forrest sitemap.xmap.  If we still want this,
>    it's easy to do.
>
>  - Someone needs to decide how to use the tabs.  How about:
>
>     | Home | User docs | Dev docs | Wiki |

cocoondev.org?

> I certainly wouldn't ditch the 'docs' target.  CVS Forrest is horribly
> (unusably?) slow by comparison.  3 mins vs. 15 mins.  I hope this mostly
> due to the new CLI.  If it is the speed/generality tradeoffs Forrest has
> made, we'll have to reconsider them.

:-( Yes.

Is Forrest using a <uptodate> task like the docs_check target?

Stephan.