cocoon-docs mailing list archives

From Stephan Michels <step...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] add Forrest binaries to our CVS
Date Fri, 21 Mar 2003 12:40:10 GMT

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Torsten Curdt wrote:

> <snip/>
>
> > How do you maintain that? Do you always run through the stylesheets
> > and diff like hell, if something was fixed or improved?
>
> Well, if you see it as a testcase. If you change something you (of
> course) also have to take care changing the testcase accordingly. And
> since changes are done incrementally this should not be too bad - I
> assume as naive I am :)

Testcases are good things, but what want you testing? Forrest or
Cocoon ;-)

> We have to do the same for the samples... and it works.
>
> > I like more the version that Forrest generate the docs, and the Cocoon
> > standard dist the samples. It's more SoC, I think ;-)
>
> Sorry - don't see SoC applicable here ;)

Why not? The generation of docs is a concern, and building a XML
framework(including samples) is another.

> I mean... forrest is not just a little jar. It's another 11 MB!!
>
> If we could grab the distribution directly from forrest on demand...
> ...that would be cool! But having it in our repository is duplication
> and waste of bandwith.

Okay, I think separate installation of Forrest is advisable. Setting
a FORREST_HOME and do a 'ant docs', similar to Ant. This doesn't need a
11 MB Binary dist in Cocoon, and much better, make the doc generating
stuff in Cocoon unnecessary.

At the moment I'm fixing some problems with the forrest properties, then
I'll commit the build file, so we can experimentalize.

Stephan.