cocoon-docs mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] add Forrest binaries to our CVS
Date Fri, 21 Mar 2003 11:40:47 GMT
On 21/03/2003 11:57 Torsten Curdt wrote:

>> Could we add a binary version of Forrest (including Cocoon binaries)
>> to our CVS repository so that everyone can generate the docs reliably
>> from the same version of Forrest, using it as a blackbox tool?
>

> That would mean we would have to download cocoon "twice"?!
>
> I am -1 for inclusion in the cocoon repository as binary.
>
> But I am +10 for building cocoon from source and the use *that*
> version to generate the docs. As Steven(?) already pointed
                                          ^^^ (yup)
> out: a very good testcase.

Been discussing this here with Bruno, I'm starting to change my opinion
on this:

- of all the Maven/Anakia-based projects, how many actually embed the
build or docs system into their CVS? Just like we might expect people to
have Ant installed when they want to build Cocoon, we could expect them
to install Forrest - if they don't want to build, they will get a
bin/dist instead with generated (java)docs

- there's forrestbot.cocoondev.org for people who want uptodate/preview
doco, though fast/immediate preview might not be what people really want

- I assume we are (I am!) tempted to do some 'bootstrap' thing, i.e. a
tool requiring itself to generate its own docs, but this adds to the
complexity of the doco environment, and moves attention away from the
difficult part: Content & Structure

So couldn't we expect from somebody who wants to contribute to the
official documentation they have Forrest installed?

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org