cocoon-docs mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] Forrestizing Cocoon and more
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2003 15:30:58 GMT
(moved to cocoon-docs)

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 11:30:09AM +0100, Stephan Michels wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Jeff Turner wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 11:08:39AM +0100, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> > > Moreover, to be honest, I think that we should aim to improve
> > > forrest/lenya and make it a structured wiki and setup a CMS and point
> > > users to that for editing.
> >
> > Getting the latest Chaperon updates was a major impetus for the recent
> > Cocoon upgrade.  Wiki parsing is just waiting for a volunteer.
>
> ;-) First we make the transition, then I will help you on this topic.
> deal?

:) Thanks, help would be very welcome.

As for Forrest transition, the easy part is done.  The site currently
built at:

http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/sites/cocoon-site/

should now contain all the content of the Cocoon-built site.

To get the CVS version of Forrest known to work with Cocoon, run 'cvs
update -r stable' in xml-forrest.

Remaining issues:

 - There are lots of untranslated @tokens@ in the xdocs.  A short-term
   solution would be to do a filter-copy in forrest-build.xml before
   Forrest is invoked.  Nicer long-term solution is to write a
   FilterTransformer, using input modules much like
   LinkRewriterTransformer does.  If there's no better ideas I'll get
   around to this eventually.

 - jars.xml isn't generated.  Could be fixed
   with another forrest-build.xml pre-generation hack.  Perhaps in
   Forrest we should allow hooks for calling targets in external Ant
   scripts.

 - doclist.html isn't used.  doclist.html isn't referred to anywhere, and
   the mechanism of aggregating all book.xml's looks kinda brittle, so I
   didn't port it to the Forrest sitemap.xmap.  If we still want this,
   it's easy to do.

 - Someone needs to decide how to use the tabs.  How about:

    | Home | User docs | Dev docs | Wiki |

I certainly wouldn't ditch the 'docs' target.  CVS Forrest is horribly
(unusably?) slow by comparison.  3 mins vs. 15 mins.  I hope this mostly
due to the new CLI.  If it is the speed/generality tradeoffs Forrest has
made, we'll have to reconsider them.

--Jeff