cocoon-docs mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Stages of Forrest Transition
Date Sun, 23 Mar 2003 15:39:31 GMT
On Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 09:48:47AM -0500, Diana Shannon wrote:
> How should we transition? How about:
>
> 1. Set up live protoype Forrest environment (now happening)
> 	- work out remaining configuration issues
>
> 2. Set up separate Cocoon docs repo(s)
>    - decide what the repo will include (simply docs and/or tools)

Do you mean, commit a Forrest binary into cocoon-docs CVS?  Why not just
make a snaphot available for download, or let people run 'cvs update -r
stable' on Forrest to get a known-working version?

>    - copy both 2.1 and 2.0 docs and associated files into separate
> modules/branches/repos. Maintain "old" doc build capability, as
> currently functioning, in 2.1 and 2.0.

Sounds like a lot of work.. why go to all that effort to keep the old
system alive, if the Forrest system is 95% working?

Also, having XML in a separate cocoon-docs module is likely to trigger
the "out of sight, out of mind" syndrome.  Right now, when I change some
code (say, rename DefaultsMetaModule to DefaultsModule), I can simply
grep cocoon-2.1 and find all references to the old class in code *and*
docs, and update them.  With a separate module I'd probably forget, or
forget to 'cvs up' it.

>    - setup docs build capability for user docs and web site
>    - add static documentation (built by cocoon-docs repo with Forrest)
> to both 2.0 and 2.1 repos

?! Do you mean, commit 10mb of generated HTML/PDF to cocoon-2.1?  I hope
not :)

--Jeff
(in wet blanket mode, and not seeing the forest for the trees:)