cocoon-docs mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Use CVS Forrest, Forrestbot for docs
Date Sun, 23 Mar 2003 13:49:00 GMT
On Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 07:25:53AM -0500, Diana Shannon wrote:

> On Sunday, March 23, 2003, at 04:23  AM, Jeff Turner wrote:
>
> <snip />
> >
> >I've also added Cocoon to the Forrestbot run, regenerating every 4
> >hours:
> >
> >http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/sites/cocoon-site/index.html
>
> Freedom!!

:)

> >However as the Forrestbot doesn't provide an opportunity to copy
> >sitemap.xmap.forrest05 to sitemap.xmap, the FAQs and some .txt links are
> >broken.
> >
> >So how about we:
> > - Rename sitemap.xmap.forrest05 to sitemap.xmap in CVS, thus making the
> >   Forrestbot output "committable".
>
> Why can't we have our own sitemap for Forrest-specific docs. Will a
> separate sitemap still work with forrestbot? If not, when? For example,
> the faqs and jars pages need their own custom matches which could be
> added in a snap. I can't see why we need to depend on the Forrest
> project for these additions.

Ah - I didn't notice the jars page is blank.  Yes, projects can provide
their own sitemap, and Forrest (and the Forrestbot) will use them.  The
sitemap.xmap.forrest05 file is a Forrest sitemap, modified to map faq/**
to the FAQ-handling subsitemap:

   <map:match pattern="faq/**body-*.xml">
     <map:mount uri-prefix="" src="faq.xmap" check-reload="yes" />
   </map:match>

faq.xmap converts from faq-v10 to faq-v11 to document-v11 to HTML.  In
Cocoon's case, it should be overridden to also apply
stylesheets/faqcommon.xsl

The jars.xml preprocessing is more tricky.  In the short term, it would
be easy enough to write a jars2document.xsl stylesheet and apply it in
sitemap.xmap.  Longer term, Forrest should perhaps add a facility for
calling Ant preprocessing targets.  I'll take that up on forrest-dev.

Any other Cocoon-specific filetypes that I've missed?

> > - (optional) Fix the Cocoon 'build docs' target to read its sitemap
> >from
> >   another file, so the old doc generation process still works
>
> This **must** continue to work until we've transitioned.
>
> > - Switch on Forrestbot's commit facility, so any committer can
> >   regenerate and commit the updated HTML/PDF from the web interface.
>
> +100 -- but we have a bit to do (jars pages, faqs, and redirects) before
> it becomes the web site.

Whereabouts does Cocoon need redirects?  Should redirects be done with .htaccess
files or <meta> refreshes?  If .htaccess, they could exist in xml-site
without Forrest interfering.

--Jeff