cocoon-docs mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Migration to Forrest
Date Fri, 21 Mar 2003 03:16:39 GMT
On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 09:53:20PM +0100, Stephan Michels wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to solve some issue for releasing 2.1. So I took some time
> to integrate Forrest into the current build system. I create
> successfully the docs, except some links.
>
> See http://vern.chem.tu-berlin.de/~stephan/cocoon/index.html

Excellent!

> But for me there are some issue unresolved:
>
> 1. Should Cocoon any longer produce his own docs? This mean
> that we must include stuff from forrest.

+1

IMHO the ideal solution would be for Cocoon to build its own
documentation, using the Forrest DTDs and a skin checked into Cocoon CVS.

Advantages:

 - Cocoon developers don't need to download another 12mb of
   mostly-identical jars to build the docs.  That would be a major
   disincentive to anyone wanting to contribute a 5-line doc patch.
 - From Forrest's POV, this is great; no more "big bang" integration
   efforts, trying to synch with Cocoon.  Cocoon gets to eat its own
   dogfood.  Whoever broke the cocoon.xconf reloading gets to experience
   first-hand the pain it causes.  When Berin runs './build.sh docs' and
   it doesn't exit, he'll remember his half-finished TCPThreadManager
   patch ;)

> 2. Which skin should be used?

I'd say forrest-site or krysalis-site.

--Jeff