cocoon-docs mailing list archives

From stev...@outerthought.org
Subject [WIKI-UPDATE] BeginnerSimpleWebappOrganisation SurvivalTips Wed Feb 5 11:00:04 2003
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 10:00:04 GMT
Page: http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=BeginnerSimpleWebappOrganisation, version: 5
on Wed Feb  5 09:04:33 2003 by DerekH

- I will show you , how you can setup a cleanly separated development
?                --

+ I will show you how you can setup a cleanly separated development
- *You know how to move within a command line shell to your OS
?                  ^^^ ^^^^^^^

+ *You know how to access a command line shell to your OS
?                  ^^^ ^^

- for further infos.
?                 ^

+ for further information.
?                 ^^^^^^^

- !The organisational problem
+ !The problem: Organisational complexity
- You are told, sitemap.xmap is the heart of Cocoon and in order to get
? ^   ^    ^^^^

+ As you will read elsewhere, the sitemap.xmap is the heart of Cocoon and, in order to get
? ^^^^   ^^^^^  +++++++++++++  ^^                                        +

- Cocoon doing something for you, you shall modify this file in first place.
?                                        ^^                 ---------------

+ Cocoon doing something for you, you will first have to modify this file.
?                                     ++++++++ ++  ^^^^^

- XML-structure. There is a clear need to keep this as untouched as possible.
?              ^

+ XML-structure! There is a clear need to keep this as untouched as possible.
?              ^

- Not only you want to keep the Cocoon infrastructure intact and
+ Not only do you want to keep the Cocoon infrastructure intact and
?         +++

- operating, you also have the feeling, you want to keep your work
?                                     ^

+ operating, but you also have the feeling that you want to keep your work
?           ++++                          ^^^^^

- !Separating your work by use of subsitemaps
+ !The solution: Separating your work by use of subsitemaps
?  ++++++++++++++

- !Part I: setting up a generic mountpoint
?          ^

+ !Part I: Setting up a generic mountpoint
?          ^

- * Move to the main folder of the Cocoon webapplication. I will name this folder ''$cocoon_root''.
+ * Move to the main folder of the Cocoon web application. I will name this folder ''$cocoon_root''.
?                                            +

- * edit the original sitemap.xmap in $cocoon_root:
?   ^

+ * Edit the original sitemap.xmap in $cocoon_root:
?   ^

- * create a new folder for your own work. The folder name is arbitrary. I will use the name
"work" as a placeholder.
?   ^

+ * Create a new folder for your own work. The folder name is arbitrary. I will use the name
"work" as a placeholder.
?   ^

- SO what effect has this slight modification of sitemap.xmap on the system ?
?  ^                                                                       -

+ So what effect has this slight modification of sitemap.xmap on the system?
?  ^

- 1 - an URL, that points to the Cocoon webapp\\
?      -

+ 1 - a URL, that points to the Cocoon webapp\\
- !Part II connecting your work folder with Cocoon
?          ^                           -- ^

+ !Part II: Connecting your work folder to Cocoon
?         + ^                            ^

- location specified by the src attribute of the <map:mount> tag. This means, we need
?                                                                           -

+ location specified by the src attribute of the <map:mount> tag. This means we need
- only the bare necessities for your work. At the beginning this file may be very short.
?                ----- ^^^^

+ only the bare minimum for your work. At the beginning of your development, this file may
be very short.
?               ++  ^^^                                 +++++++++++++++++++++

- Assume, you want to serve an XML-content that is serialized into an HTML-output by
?       -

+ Assume you want to serve an XML-content that is serialized into an HTML-output by
- use of an XSL-transformation. I think, this is the "simplest use case" for Cocoon.
?                                        -----       -

+ use of an XSL-transformation. This, I think, is the simplest "use case" for Cocoon.
?                               ++++++                         +

- files, you want to serve have the ending ".xml" . The ongoing setup is straight
?      -                                         -     --------

+ files you want to serve have the ending ".xml". The setup is then straightforward:
?                                                              +++++        ++++++++

- forward:
- What did we achieve by now?
?                    -------

+ !What did we achieve?
? +

- First we told cocoon to start a xslt transformation whenever we try to retrieve
?               ^

+ First we told Cocoon to start a xslt transformation whenever we try to retrieve
?               ^

- an html file from the work folder. I.e. the follwing URL
?                                 -  ^

+ an html file from the work folde. i.e. the following URL
?                                   ^            +

- file "index.xml" is transformed by use of the xslt transformation stored in
?                                               ^^^^

+ file "index.xml" is transformed by use of the XSLT transformation stored in
?                                               ^^^^

- "mytransform.xsl".Finally the result is serialised by use of the html-serialiser.
?                                                                  ^^^^

+ "mytransform.xsl". Finally the result is serialised by use of the HTML-serialiser.
?                   +                                               ^^^^

- The final result is snt to the browser as standard html-file.
?                                                        ^

+ The final result is snt to the browser as standard html file.
?                                                        ^

- !a slightly more advanced issue
+ !Advanced issues
- By following this approach you will loss the generic mount feature as
?                                        ^

+ By following this approach you will lose the generic mount feature as
?                                        ^

- described above, but it may be worthwhyle, because you may only need
?                                       ^

+ described above, but it may be worthwhile, because you may only need

- - REVIEWED-BY:\\
+ - REVIEWED-BY: [DerekH] (minor editing)

Page: http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=SurvivalTips, version: 12 on Wed Feb  5 09:08:21
2003 by DerekH

- Separate your app into subsitemaps and subdirs with related issues.
+ Separate your app into [subsitemaps|BeginnerSimpleWebappOrganisation] and subdirs with related
issues.