cocoon-docs mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Wiki RSS change notifications
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2003 14:28:34 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Steven Noels wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> would anyone object against little notification mails being send to
>> this list when pages in the Wiki get updated? I've attached a few
>> samples.
>

> +1 if it's possible to attach a diff.
>
> Otherwise, this doesn't give much more information than the recent
> changes page.
>
> Sylvain

OK. In the mean time, I bought all these Python books, and ventured into
my first real program [1]. Being unhappy with all this RSS2email stuff,
and due to HEP's slow progress (and it being to large to wrap my peanut
brain around it to help it move forward anythig faster), I wrote [2] a
little application which goes fetching the recent changes across XMLRPC
from the Wiki, diffs when possible, and sends the result as an email.
All wrapped in a crontab script. It sounds much more glorious than it
is, really.

Given the fact I can now really control what it does, suggestions w.r.t.
mail headers are very much welcome. The script runs hourly (if all goes
well ;-)

Thanks for the challenge, Sylvain!

</Steven>

[1] to put on someone's tombstone: this community got Steven into actual
programming
[2] read that as in: I abused the Python language into...
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org