cocoon-docs mailing list archives

From Diana Shannon <shan...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Documentation Format...
Date Sat, 16 Nov 2002 12:20:19 GMT

On Friday, November 15, 2002, at 03:52  AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

>> . . .
>> What about a UNIX man page
>> approach to technical docs? For each transformer, gerneator,
>> inputmodule,
>> etc, have a sinlge man page type document with the technical details,
>> samples if any, formats, etc.
>> . . .
>
> Makes at lot of sense.  As Cocoon uses many components, it makes sense
> for
> the reference docs to follow the pattern, even more once Blocks are
> here, as
> each Block will need its own modular documentation.
>
> I think a single FileGenerator page, for example, could include
> information
> for both users and developers, assuming a strict page structure (DTD) is
> adhered to. The "DTD" of unix man pages is certainly a good starting
> point
> for this.

I don't see how a strict DTD will really produce good doc content. I
developed a howto dtd for Forrest (based on document-v11) and ended up
leaving many elements optional (based on good advice from Steven and
others). I think well-written guidelines and good examples (and editing)
are key.

> Problem is, do we have the resources for what could be a major
> restructuring
> of the docs, including DTD design? The fairly slow activity on the
> -docs list
> makes me a little wary of starting big documentation projects, as lack
> of
> resources might cause them to fail.

Well, if the effort needed was granular enough, we might get more
help/resources. It can be really difficult to write a comprehensive doc
about Cocoon because so many concepts/skills are involved. If someone
knows a lot about a specific topic (but not necessarily others), they
could contribute that content and then a more advanced user could weave
them together into meaningful tracks. If we can break it into small
pieces, it might happen.

Diana