cocoon-docs mailing list archives

From Diana Shannon <shan...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Keeping website docs in sync with *released* version?
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2002 16:21:39 GMT

On Thursday, October 17, 2002, at 10:17  AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> I have no idea who/what generates the current website, is it "build.sh
> docs"
> run by a crontab script?

The source of the web site is a checked-out cvs version of the xml-site
cvs. This cvs is made up of the html docs, generated by the release cvs
build script. See http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-
docs&m=103408114414107&w=2

> If so, would it be enough to have "build docs" generate the
> docs based on a configurable CVS tag for the main site and on the HEAD
> for
> /beta?

Bertrand, if you monitor cvs-related emails, you'll discover many
committers never update/patch release branch docs, even if the content
is the same. Under this scenario, release docs would suffer. Also,
maintaining two sets of web site docs, using the currently xml-site
mechanisms, would be a royal PITA. It's tedious enough as it is.

Seems to me Forrest has elegantly solved many of these issues. If Steven
is open now to a separate CVS module/branch for docs, then is there a
way to proceed with reliable Forrest adoption? In other words, I don't
want to limit the potential of Forrest by demanding some kind of
more-or-less stable framework before Forrest is ready for that.

Diana