cocoon-docs mailing list archives

From Diana Shannon <shan...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon primer, how about starting to write it on the wiki?
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2002 15:45:19 GMT

On Thursday, October 17, 2002, at 05:12  AM, Steven Noels wrote:

> Now that I have commit rights, I did some looking around in CVS - I
> must say this branch stuff makes things hard to maintain.
It's especially disheartening when the cvs-HEAD docs build is broken (as
was/is the case as of last week[1]). Docs/content should depend on a
more reliable generation mechanism. I couldn't agree more that a
separate cvs branch/module will help matters.

> Possible alternative: have a separate module/directory in HEAD with a
> subdirectory per version (2.0.x and 2.1-dev) instead of using
> branches...
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your suggestion, but this sounds like we'd
still need to maintain to separate sets of source documents, with a lot
of duplication between them. I don't see why we can't have a single set
of source docs, with the ability to generate different versions (2.1,
2.03, 2.04-dev, etc.)  based on meta data or similar.

> Maybe I'm contradicting my own statements regarding this when Diana
> mentioned this, dunnow anymore.

It doesn't matter. I'm just glad we view the problem similarly now.

> I'm just throwing this up for grabs. Now that we have some more
> doco-oriented committers, maybe we have the momentum and the energy to
> continue the great work of Diana & David - but also the opportunity to
> rethink things.

Clearly Forrest represents a lot of this rethinking. You know David and
I have worked through multiple trial runs of using Forrest with Cocoon.
Problem was, a while back, it's seemingly alpha status (e.g. the
multiple threads about dropping document 1.1 dtd ) and my frustration
with the cvs branches made me hesitate in carrying out its incorporation
within the Coccon cvs.

Diana

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=103407963812713&w=2