cocoon-docs mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Keeping website docs in sync with *released* version? (was...starting to write it on the wiki?)
Date Fri, 18 Oct 2002 11:20:41 GMT

Diana Shannon wrote:

> On Thursday, October 17, 2002, at 06:19  AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>> a) Default version of website docs stays frozen as it was when the last
>> release was done (except the "news" pages).
>

> I disagree. Why should it be frozen? To make it easier on committers? I
> think this might discourage patching and updating docs.
>
>> b) Publish the CVS versions of the docs on alternate path
>> (xml.apache.org/cocoon/work-in-progress
>
> What does works-in-progress refer to? The code or the docs?

Both; usually WIP docs are related to WIP functionality, anyway it's a
simplification.

Over @the Ant dev list, there have been already discussions about users
complaining they wanted the "release" version of the docs, while others
wanted only CVS version.

Personally, I'm totally convinced we need both.

Or keep the CVS version up front and link to the releases versions, or
the opposite.
But having WIP on the main page is really bad...

>>  or xml.apache.org/cocoon-cvs) with a
>> suitable warning on all pages ("this relates to the unstable CVS
>> version blah
>> blah...").
>

> Warnings already exist. Some docs with 2.1 content still lack them, though.
>
> How would you implement the build? Isn't it better to add this
> functionality to Forrest first?

+1, as I suggested

             - verba volant, scripta manent -