cocoon-docs mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch>
Subject Keeping website docs in sync with *released* version? (was...starting to write it on the wiki?)
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:19:03 GMT
On Thursday 17 October 2002 11:12, Steven Noels wrote:
. . .
> maybe you could as well start directly in xdoc format. Wiki is good for
> quick & dirty, but this should be quality whitepaper-ware.
>. . .

Agreed, only that currently I have very little content for these new
documents, so I will try to create the pages on the wiki and see if people
bring in ideas and content.

>. . .I must
> say this branch stuff makes things hard to maintain.
> Possible alternative: have a separate module/directory in HEAD with a
> subdirectory per version (2.0.x and 2.1-dev) instead of using branches...

I think CVS branches are fine for evolving the docs, but maybe we should not
update the *website docs* until a new version is released? It must be really
confusing for newbies to read docs on the website and not be able to use the
features in the version that they have.

I'd suggest the following, but don't know how hard this would be given the
current xml.apache.org website mechanisms:

a) Default version of website docs stays frozen as it was when the last
release was done (except the "news" pages).

b) Publish the CVS versions of the docs on alternate path
(xml.apache.org/cocoon/work-in-progress or xml.apache.org/cocoon-cvs) with a
suitable warning on all pages ("this relates to the unstable CVS version blah
blah...").

-Bertrand