cocoon-docs mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [BUG]: Errors in documentation build
Date Thu, 11 Jul 2002 14:20:59 GMT
Diana Shannon wrote:

> On Thursday, July 11, 2002, at 07:17  AM, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I get several errors during the documentation build in the 2.0.3 branch.
>> In order to get the release out, these have to be fixed. Could someone
>> please have a look at it?
>

> Fixed, in both release and HEAD.
>
> Since we are so close to release, could we all please be careful and
> perform a docs build
> prior to any doc-related commits? Also, remember that not all broken
> links break the build.
> For example, broken links to .txt files don't stop the build. To be
> sure, you need to scan all WARN
> messages for other link issues.

Diana, if you add

     <arg value="-bcocoonbrokenlinks.txt"/>

to the <java> part of the build that launches Cocoon on docs generation,
you will get at the end a cocoonbrokenlinks.txt file containing all the
broken links.

> Also, links to any sample webapp
> files/docs will
> break on the live site (even though they don't break the build). We are
> hard-coding
> such "links" as <code> elements for the time being.
 >
> -- Diana
>
> P.S. We need a doc-related build target that only checks links.
> LinkStatusGenerator to the rescue? That way, you simply need to validate
> your file and then perform a link check (for all docs) prior to commits.
> IMHO, an entire doc build is a PITA, especially
> when you commit often.

Cocoon is an almost-non-invertible function, that is it's really
difficult and practically impossible to check links on any Cocoon site
without generating pages, since there can be rewrites in the pipeline.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -